I think the legal drinking age should be dropped back down to 18. My reasoning’s are pretty simple. First off, 18-20 year old "kids" are going to drink anyway. Next, how can people get into the military and go die for their country, but not be considered enough of an "adult" to go legally purchase alcohol ? Seriously ?
Also, a 20 year old friend of mine got arrested 3 years ago while standing in someones yard at a party. He was drinking, and an undercover lady cop (Mrs. Officer) arrested him. Nothing too serious transpired from it, but he did have to do public service, and that shit goes on his record. Why? It accomplished nothing. Kids are still going to drink. All it did was tarnish his criminal record and life. The law helps nothing, and if anything, it encourages kids to drink in order to be rebellious, different, or simply to seem more mature.
I know the laws were made this way for public and individual safety, but the laws will always be broken. Plus, legal drinking ages all over the world are under 21. I believe it's 19 in Canada. Until 1997, you only had to be 18 to purchase alcohol in Louisiana (home of mardi gras and drive through bars). Louisiana is the United States. That was a contradiction. I've heard they're still pretty relaxed when it comes to the drinking age laws.
Please note, I do not condone underage drinking.
I agree- drinking ages in other countries are less than here and I don't think they have any problems with it. I also think that people need to understand that banning something doesn't necessarily make it go away, and can cause other problems.
ReplyDeleteI think the point you brought up about being able to join the military at 18 and not being able to drink is so on point. You can risk your life for your country but not legally have a beer? Makes no sense to me.
ReplyDelete